The New Haven PCRU is very happy to introduce our new Loyalty Program!
Our participants (that’s you!) power the future of medical science and make our work meaningful. So whether this is your very first time with us, or you’ve been here since we opened our doors, we want to celebrate you and your choice to volunteer with us!
How it works
Similar to collecting points or stamps to turn in for a free drink at your favorite coffee shop, this program is designed to offer up gifts for repeat visits. Instead of points, there are several tiers with exclusive PCRU swag at each level and your eligibility is determined by your participation with us. Starting with your next appointment, you will be able to complete tiers based on how you choose to participate over the course of a year.
When you meet the criteria for a given tier, you will be gifted the item listed for that tier. Some tiers have just one item, but others may offer you a choice. The tiers are also not necessarily sequential. This means every person may have a different timeline and move through the tiers in a different order. A year after your first qualifying visit, your progress will start over, and it will continue rolling over annually. You can read more about what is offered in each tier and how to qualify below:
Tier 1: Newbie
Tier 1: Newbie
You’re new(ish) – welcome to the PCRU! We’ve got a few little things just to get you started while you get familiar with us and our unit.
To qualify for this tier, you must come in and complete your first screening at the PCRU within the last 5 years.
From pens to PopSockets®, we've got you covered - gift for this tier consists of a giftbag full of handy PCRU-branded swag.
Tier 2: Expert
You’re a pro – you know the process inside and out and are on a first-name basis with the staff. We admire your dedication!
To qualify for this tier, you must complete any 5 screening visits in a 12-month period.
Gift for this tier is a choice of a knitted beanie or a 12oz coffee mug.
Tier 3: Bronze
You’re an innovator – you’re not afraid to try new things and you finish what you start – we appreciate that!
To qualify for this tier, you must complete all in-person visits for any standard-length study (about 1 month in follow-up).
Gift for this tier is a choice of a canvas drawstring bag or a power bank.
Tier 4: Silver
You’re a changemaker – you know what matters and you make your actions count. Your contributions to research are deeply appreciated.
To qualify for this tier, you must complete all in-person visits for either 2 standard-follow-up studies or 1 extended-follow-up study (about 2-6 months follow-up period) in a 12-month period.
Gift for this tier is a choice of a zip-up hoodie or a fleece blanket.
Tier 5: Gold
Tier 5: Gold
You’re a true clinical trial guru – you could teach us a thing or two, I bet. Your commitment to helping patients is unmatched, and we are so grateful to have you at the PCRU!
To qualify for this tier, you must complete all in-person visits for either 3 standard-follow-up studies or 2 extended-follow-up studies in a 12-month period.
Gift for this tier is a choice of a Sony® Bluetooth® speaker or a $100 gift card.
You’re an MVP (most valuable participant) – You’ve been with us since day 1 and we won’t forget that. Thank you for sticking with us over the years, we hope you continue to return and see what else we have in store for the future!
To qualify for this tier, you must have screened at any point during our first 2 years of operation (2005-2006) and complete a screening at any point in the 12 months following the launch of this program (09-Oct-2023).
For studies that are very long (more than 6 months) there are special gifts and bonus items built-in to your follow-up visits instead, so don’t worry if you don’t fit these tiers, we promise you won’t miss out!
Not a participant yet?
Get started by reaching out to us or view our current trials!
Who is eligible?
Other than the descriptions within each tier, there are some overall criteria for receiving your gift. The criteria differs between the screening tiers (newbie, expert, and legacy) and the study tiers (bronze, silver, gold).
- For screenings:
- Participants must complete all screening-day procedures requested by staff.
- If you are unable or unwilling to finish your screening on the day you are scheduled, you may return to complete at a later date, but the gift will not be provided until all of the procedures are completed.
- If you are deemed not eligible for the study at any point during your screening for a medical reason, that screening is still considered completed.
- For first time screenings (tier 1): participants must be new to the PCRU or be a retuning volunteer after an inactive period of 5 years (meaning no past appointments within 5 years of the eligible new screening date).
- For studies:
- Participants must complete all on-study procedures as stated in the Informed Consent Document (ICD) and meet criteria to receive their in-house portion of the stipend as described in the ICD (not including any completion bonus)
- Participants on studies with multiple admissions must complete all admissions
- Participants on studies with on-site follow-up visits must complete all of these visits
- Participants withdrawn by the study PI for a medical reason at any point will be considered completed at the point of their withdrawal. Participants who choose to withdraw or are withdrawn for a non-medical reason will receive their prorated portion of the stipend as described in the ICD but will not be eligible for the Loyalty Tier gift.
How do I sign up?
There is no opt-in necessary, this program is offered automatically to all participants who sign up for any study at our unit from the time of the program launch until the program is altered or terminated.
When do I get my gift?
This depends on the tier. For screening tiers, you will receive your gift prior to leaving the unit upon completion of the qualifying screening visit. For study tiers, you will receive your gift at the completion of your last on-site visit of a qualifying study, so this may be at your discharge from the unit or at your last follow-up visit, whichever is later.
My gift was lost or stolen. Can I get another one?
Unfortunately, the nature of this program is to provide our participants with limited-edition prints and items that are unique, so this means we order them in a limited quantity and will continue to change them over time. In order to ensure we have enough for others we cannot replace anything that is lost or stolen. We also may no longer have the same item available. However, that means we are always looking for new and better gifts, and each year your progress is reset so you can return and receive different items over time.